120.091 Geometrical Algorithms for GIS
This course is in all assigned curricula part of the STEOP.
This course is in at least 1 assigned curriculum part of the STEOP.

2021S, VU, 3.0h, 4.0EC
TUWEL

Properties

  • Semester hours: 3.0
  • Credits: 4.0
  • Type: VU Lecture and Exercise
  • Format: Distance Learning

Learning outcomes

After successful completion of the course, students are able to (among others)

  •     to judge geometric algorithms and data structures with respect to their runtime complexity;
  •     to describe geometric algorithms and data structures and weigh their pros and cons;
  •     implement geometric algorithms and data structures in a problem-centered manner.

Subject of course

The content of this course covers the representation and analysis of geometric data using different algorithmic methods. This includes fundamental aspects of algorithms per se (definition, complexity analysis, efficiency). In particular, algorithms and data structures for simple and advanced geometric problems as well as sweep and spatial access methods are covered.

The content of the course particularly includes the acquisition of the skills and abilities to solve these problems programmatically using Python.

 

Teaching methods

Lecture; solving exercises independently (with help)

Mode of examination

Immanent

Additional information

Lecture and exams will exclusively be offered ONLINE. A webcam is highly appreciated for the lecture and it is mandatory in order to take an exam.

There will be a live lecture on ZOOM every week throughout the semester.

The ZOOM link to access the live lecture will be available on the TUWEL-site (see this site also for course materials) of the course as of March 1st, 2021.

In case of the oral online exams personalised ZOOM links will be provided ahead of time. You are required to have a working webcam, mic and speakers to participate in the exam. If you cannot fulfill these requirements, please inform the lecturer as soon as possible after you have enrolled for an exam date via TISS.

The oral exams are conducted according to Bloom's taxonomy; based on the fact that the course is at the master level, all levels will be reached throughout the examination talk. Further information will be given during the first lecture.

Lecturers

Institute

Course dates

DayTimeDateLocationDescription
Thu11:00 - 14:0004.03.2021 - 24.06.2021 Online via Zoom (LIVE)Vorlesungsübung
Geometrical Algorithms for GIS - Single appointments
DayDateTimeLocationDescription
Thu04.03.202111:00 - 14:00 Online via ZoomVorlesungsübung
Thu11.03.202111:00 - 14:00 Online via ZoomVorlesungsübung
Thu18.03.202111:00 - 14:00 Online via ZoomVorlesungsübung
Thu25.03.202111:00 - 14:00 Online via ZoomVorlesungsübung
Thu15.04.202111:00 - 14:00 Online via ZoomVorlesungsübung
Thu22.04.202111:00 - 14:00 Online via ZoomVorlesungsübung
Thu29.04.202111:00 - 14:00 Online via ZoomVorlesungsübung
Thu06.05.202111:00 - 14:00 Online via ZoomVorlesungsübung
Thu20.05.202111:00 - 14:00 Online via ZoomVorlesungsübung
Thu27.05.202111:00 - 14:00 Online via ZoomVorlesungsübung
Thu10.06.202111:00 - 14:00 Online via ZoomVorlesungsübung
Thu17.06.202111:00 - 14:00 Online via ZoomVorlesungsübung
Thu24.06.202111:00 - 14:00 Online via ZoomVorlesungsübung

Examination modalities

Students have two options regarding their course assessment:

Option 1) 100% of the assessment are achieved by means of the 30 minute oral exam.

Option 2) A maximum of 30% of the assessment can be achieved through submission of three problem sets (more info will be given in week 1). The remaining 70% are achieved during the oral exam.

Further information will be given during the first lecture.

Course registration

Begin End Deregistration end
07.01.2021 00:00 18.03.2021 23:59 18.03.2021 23:59

Curricula

Study CodeSemesterPrecon.Info
045 006 Digital Skills STEOP
Course requires the completion of the introductory and orientation phase
066 421 Geodesy and Geoinformation 2. Semester

Literature

No lecture notes are available.

Previous knowledge

Working knowledge in Python.

Language

English